top of page


Who Are We?

Mareeba Truck School (MTS) is a local family owned driving school, run by an industry experienced trainer, providing Heavy Vehicle Driver Training for MR, HR and HC Licences.

At MTS we understand the pressure and time constraints of the modern workforce so, we offer a flexible training schedule to fit around work commitments. So whether you want to drive a bus (LR), horse truck (MR), body truck (HR) or truck and trailer (HC), we can get you on the road, competent and safe.

The MTS Difference

Trucking jobs are one of the most advertised jobs in the Earthmoving, Mining, Construction and Transport Industries. In a highly competitive job market, obtaining your Heavy Vehicle Licence is one of the easiest ways to upskill and improve the look of your CV.


So why should you choose Mareeba Truck School?

Locky & Teeny, the owners and trainers, have spent 15 years in the Earthmoving, Mining and Trucking industries. This experience from both allows Locky & Teeny to pass on their skills and knowledge to give you the edge when it comes time to not just pass the test, but get that job!

Mareeba Truck School services the Mareeba and Tablelands regions using Atherton and Mareeba Qld Transport Customer Service Centres to obtain your licence.

Who Are We?
Truck Licences
  • Medium Rigid Training (MR)*

  • Heavy Rigid Vehicle Training (HR)*

  • Heavy Combination Training (HC)*

  • Refresher Training

*Syncromesh and Automatic Gearbox options available

Frequently Asked Questions
  • Do I need a Heavy Vehicle Learners Permit to drive a truck?
    No, you can do all of your training with Mareeba Truck School and even sit your practical test without having one. However, MTS recommends that you complete the theory test sometime during the training.
  • How hard is the Heavy Vehicle Leaners Permit? Can I practice the test beforehand?
    The Heavy Vehicle Learners Permit consists of 10 basic multiple choice questions. MTS recommends that you practice enough as to achieve 10 out of 10, 3 times in a row then you will be right to go in to your closest Department of Transport Customer Service Centre and sit the test. The test costs approximately $25. To practice the test, use the link below.
  • How long do I need to hold my car licence before I am eligible to get my truck licence?
    As per the Department of Transport website, the minimum requirements before upgrading can be found in the table below:
  • Can I do my truck licence whilst being on my P's?
    Yes, on Green P's only. Please see the table below for further clarification.
  • Can Mareeba Truck School book my test for me?
    Yes! We can easily organise and book your test. Doing it this way ensures that the truck is definitely available for the test.
  • Where do I attend the lessons?
    You can meet Locky at either the Mareeba Department of Transport, located at 147 Walsh Street Mareeba, the Atherton Department of Transport, located at 13 Atherton Herberton Road, Atherton. Or, if you'd like to arrange an alternate meeting point, please discuss this with us at the time of the booking! Click HERE for directions to the Mareeba Department of Transport. Click HERE for directions to the Atherton Department of Transport.
  • How much is a Truck Licence?
    All of our courses and prices are outlined on our Licences page.
Contact Us
bottom of page